Tuesday, November 16, 2004

...Moving On...

I watched a movie last night, called Before Sunset with Ethan Hawke and french actress Julie Delpy. Its actually a sequel to another movie I watched a few nights ago called Before Sunrise, that was filmed 9 years ago with the same actors and same characters who meet by chance on a train in europe and decide to spend the next 24 hours together talking until Ethan has to catch a plane. They leave eachother wanting more but decide to meet back there in 6 months and kiss goodbye without exchanging any personal information. The movie ends open ended, leaving you wanting more. They made the sequel in 2004, luckily I didnt watch the first part when it first came out in 1995 otherwise Id have these characters rollng around in my head for 9 years! In the newest story, it is really 9 years later and they have another chance meeting in Paris. Ethans character Jesse has written a best selling novel abou their encounter 9 years ago, and she comes to his book signing in Paris and surprizes him. One scene really grabbed my attention. They are talking about what could have been and Celene (Julie Delpy's character) goes into a monologue when Jesse tells her he hasnt really moved on since they first left eachother.

"I'm really glad you said that, because I always feel like a freak because Im not able to move on like (snap) this. People have affairs, or even entire relationships, and they break up and they forget. They move on like they have changed brands of cerials. I feel like I was never able to forget anyone I've been with because each person had their own specific qualities; you can never replace anyone. But what is lost is lost. Each relationship, when it ends really damages me. I can never recover. Thats why Im really careful with getting involved because it hurts too much. You can never replace anyone because each one is made up of such beautiful specific details." -Celine in Before Sunset

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home